Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Prologue: Pre shoot basics

Hello! Welcome to my blog, Sports Photography Basics.

I've wanted to do a blog for a long time, but I could never think of anything I considered worth my time writing, and your time reading. But while helping a friend who recently has gotten into sports photography, I decided to start this blog on sports photography basics.

Writing these tips down helps me to reinforce the concepts, and hopefully can help the new sports photographer pick up some tips as well. This blog will assume the reader has basic photography knowledge, and is familiar with basic photography terms.

Entry One I will call the prologue. The basic, basics of sports photography.

Before any shoot, whether indoor or outdoor, daylight or low light, I would always recommend you check, then double check all of your camera settings.

First, ISO. Many cameras do not display ISO information in the viewfinder, and if you shoot say a night football game on a Friday night, and then a Saturday matinee, it is easy to forget to change the to the appropriate ISO. A clue may be getting extremely high shutter speeds, even for daylight. 1/8000 shutter speeds can be a clue that you are at a high ISO and the ISO needs to be checked.

Another setting that could be a problem is White balance. I have set a custom white balance for basketball in a gym, then went to shoot football during the day without changing the white balance. I happened to pick that day to not shoot RAW (I will cover RAW in a later entry) so I spent a LOT of unnecessary Photoshop time tyring to make my images usable!

So the first thing I do before any shoot is check and double check my settings, ISO, white balance, battery life, compact flash... checking everything over gets you ready to have a great shoot!

No comments: